The Queen Is Released

The Queen Cage

The Candy End of the Queen Cage

Perfect Queen Release

Checking in today on my new queen from this weekend’s package of bees installation, I found that she and her attendants had been released from the cage into the hive with a little help from her new workers. The candy that had been blocking the hole in the end had been perfectly chewed through. Success in just a matter of a few days!

I was poking around in my new colony, closing up the gap that I had left for the queen cage in the middle, it was obvious that this colony was already hard at word producing new wax combs. The wax was a beautiful golden-white color, in large tear-drop shapes. As much as I love their artistic creations, I had to remove this fancy wax and resume some order within the hive. I think I know exactly the person to give this wax to, a certain metal-worker friend of mine…:)

And since I had the bee suit on, I figured I might as well get it over with and treat my winter survivor hive for their varroa mite problem. When I opened up the hive, they greeted me with an annoyed buzz and immediately began flying in circles around me. Luckily, despite the mites, their population seems to have boomed. They’re going to be ok, but just as well I treat them now to start getting a handle on it. I had not been looking forward to this treatment, mainly because I didn’t know what to expect. To my pleasant surprise, the Apiguard foil was so simple to use. It comes in a little tin that you just peel of the top, place it on top of the bars in the middle of the brood box, put a small spacer over it, close up the screened bottom board, set your clock for two weeks, and voila! Repeat the the treatment one more time for two more weeks.

Apiguard is recommended to be used in temperatures above 59 degrees so that the gel does not crystalize. We’re nearly above that for the next two weeks with highs in the 80’s and lows dipping down into the mid-40’s, but only occasionally, per the weatherman. The bees will walk through the gel and attempt to remove the foreign object from the hive, at the same time getting the gel on them and transporting it throughout the brood and comb within the hive. This first treatment will likely be completely eliminated from the tin within a few days; however, I will leave the tin in place until exactly two weeks and then put a new one in its place for another round. I’m excited to see how this affects the hive. I haven’t seen drones from this colony in a long time. We’ll see if this helps.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s